A Discipline and Termination policy should assist managers and employees when addressing unacceptable performance and behaviours. A discipline and termination policy should always be in alignment with the Fair Work legislation.
The objective of a Discipline and Termination Policy is to:
- Improve or correct the standard of conduct or poor performance of an employee when appropriate
- Provide an employee with the opportunity to improve their performance and correct any misconduct
- Provide managers with the appropriate steps to take to address concerns relating to misconduct and performance
- Ensure that each matter is reviewed and addresses on an individual basis and that the employee is treated fairly and equally
- Ensure that a business is managing employees in a consistent way when it comes to disciplinary action and termination
A Discipline and Termination Policy will provide employees and managers with information regarding their rights and responsibilities in conducting or participating in informal supervision/counselling, verbal warnings, written warnings, termination and what constitutes serious misconduct.
Use this template to formulate your own Discipline and Termination Policy at your workplace: